Hydrogenated fats/ oils (aka: TRANS FATS). No one seems to mind when there are hydrogenated oils in their food, but watch out for those trans fats!! Um, hello…they are the same thing people! These man-made fats are not good for you in any way, shape, or form. They elevate cholesterol levels and can lead to coronary artery disease.
Hydrogenated oils act as a preservative in many processed foods and you don’t need a whole lot of it either! The FDA allows foods with less than 0.5% trans fat to be labeled as “trans fat free”… but what if you eat more than one serving? Oh, say the entire container of “whipped topping”?!? Hmmm, now we have a problem!
To increase awareness about the hidden evils of trans fats, I’ve posted a few foods containing trans fats and a healthy alternative.
1) Whipped Topping: Try “Tru-Whip” a vegan/organic alternative, available at most health food stores.
2) Peanut Butter: This one is easy…try an organic/all natural peanut butter J
3) Non-Dairy Creamer: Substitute with low or non-fat milk (almond, soy, coconut etc) and stevia.
4) White Bread: Didn’t see that one coming did you? Yes, it’s in there and it’s used as a preservative. Try 100% whole grain or sprouted breads. Read the label so you know for sure what you’re buying.
5) Margarine: Try non-hydrogenated butter spreads from brands like “I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter” and “Promise”.
6) Ice Cream: Lots of popular brands contain trans fats. Read the label! Haagen Daz is trans fat free J -Save it for your “off” day people!
Take care of your body, and it will take care of you!